10 FUEL EFFICIENT DRIVING TECHNIQUES ON HOW TO BECOME MORE FUEL-SAVVY!
Make this the year that you adapt your driving style to be more fuel-savvy. You may not be able to control the prices at the pumps, but there are changes you can make to the way you conduct yourself on the road that will make all the difference.
- Don't scatter your errands throughout the day - try to combine it in one trip so you can leverage off the fact that a 'warm' car uses far less fuel than one that has been standing idle for a few hours.
- Try to steer clear of rush hour and traffic jams - you're likely to get stuck in first and second gear, which consumes the most fuel. Alternatively, try to understand what the traffic is doing in front of you so you can stay at a steady speed rather than braking the whole time.
- Close your windows as soon as you hit the highway. The drag created by open windows increases the amount of fuel required to keep your vehicle at speed.
- Empty roof rack? Take it off. It may be a bit of a hassle, but the drag on your vehicle will be lessened considerably.
- Don't allow sports gear and other equipment to clutter up your boot space. It may not seem like a lot, but the added weight does add to your fuel expense.
- When you're traveling for long distances, try to stick to 80 - 90 km/h in your top gear for the duration of your journey. This is your most fuel-efficient speed.
- At high speeds, it can be tempting to push the accelerator rather than dropping a gear, but the latter is your more fuel-efficient option.
- Use your air-conditioner mindfully; only put it on when you really need it.
- Stick to the speed limit - it's more than just safe; it's fuel efficient.
- When your tyre pressure is low you use more fuel. Check it regularly.
These are 10 ways to become more fuel-savvy. We’ll be sharing more helpful advice like this on the blog in coming weeks and months, so keep an eye out. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to one of our in-house auto experts if you’d like to learn more about the fuel-efficient Haval models we currently have on offer. Also remember to service your car on time and at Haval you can be rest assured that we only use authentic & quality car parts